Items by Jared Blackley
Terry Tempest Williams celebrates Rwanda, mosaics and Utah prairie dogs in her new book, Finding Beauty in a Broken World.
In Riding Toward Everywhere, William T. Vollman describes his adventures rambling by freight train across the West.
Michael Blake’s new nonfiction book, Indian Yell, fails to live up to its ambitious subtitle, “The Heart of an American Insurgency,” with its quick tour of 12 battles between the U.S. Cavalry and American Indians.
- Deb Dedon on In Arizona, the people move ahead of the politicians
- Daniel Smith on A door squeaks open for rural energy independence
- Jim Brandau on When poisoning is the solution
- Rick Beauheim on EPA says fracking could contaminate drinking water
- Charles Roberts on Why rare-earth mining in the West is a bust