Items by Jane Koerner
After a fallen boulder pins her leg to the ground, a hiker learns the hard way how important it is to hike with friends, or at least to leave notes about where you are going.
When you're out of work and homeless, it's inspiring to remember young wanderers like Everett Ruess, even if he never returned from his mysterious sojourn in the canyon country of Utah.
- jay weston on National Park Week fails to change the game
- Ben DeJarnette on A millennial mayor and his timber town
- Pam Roylance on Photos: Inside the controversial sport of coyote coursing
- Ed Morrow on Thousands of fish die in Colorado, amid flood recovery projects
- Richard Jones on National Park Week fails to change the game