Items by George Ochenski
Montanans are rebelling against the federal government, angry at the Recreation Enhancement Tax, the Patriot Act, and the loss of their National Guard to Iraq
The writer hails Montana's Legislature as it rebukes the federal government over access fees on public lands and the Patriot Act
Montana State Rep. Ben Cohen, environmentalist, garbageman, actor and outdoorsman, is mourned in Whitefish, Mont.
Michael T. "Mickey" Pablo, the recently deceased leader of Montana's seven Indian nations, is remembered as a fearless warrior in defense of his people, their land and treaty rights.
The Montana Legislature ratifies a water compact with the Crow Indian Tribe that favors consumptive users of the water at the expense of the Bighorn River itself, and of the world-class trout fishery in Bighorn Lake.
- Jane Shafroth on Rants from the Hill: The aliens that make Nevada home
- Irene S on No direction home
- Richard Crow on Ranch Diaries: Why cowboy life is intense
- Richard Crow on Mass shootings in Western states, by the numbers
- Mary Mcallister on Wildland restoration is like marriage: An imperfect work in progress