Items by Evelyn Schlatter
The essays in Gary Paul Nabhan’s Arab/American celebrate the landscape, culture and cuisine of two great deserts: The Middle Eastern lands from which his ancestors came and the Sonoran Desert he now lives in.
Sean O’Connor and the other members of the Ascending the Giants expedition team climb, measure and photograph the West’s tallest trees.
A potpourri of maps and graphics illustrates the complex nature of hardrock mining in the West today.
- Edward Williams on When poisoning is the solution
- Jeff Zapko on Climate showdown on the Willamette in Oregon
- Jim Brandau on When poisoning is the solution
- Michael Weeks on Deaths renew calls for national parks to rescind BASE jumping bans
- John Finch on Illegal bike trails and a Forest Service crackdown divide a town