Items by Ernie Atencio
In New Mexico, the open and inclusive campaign for a 240,000-acre monument sidestepped the usual controversy drummed up by such designations.
American Rivers offers reward for information on destruction of Quartzite Falls in Salt River Canyon Wilderness.
BLM hydrologist is censured after charging that groundwater pumping could harm the nation's first national conservation area along the San Pedro River.
Former government biologist, Mark Shaffer, proposes the Endangered Species Act be extended to include entire ecosystems called lifelands.
- The taxpayer money that fuels federal land transfer demands
- Latest: California fracking companies inject protected aquifers with wastewater
- Obama's preemptive strike to reform Endangered Species Act
- Wyoming trespass law is the latest in grazing battle
- Sightseeing at an open pit mine in Arizona copper country
- Bette Korber on The Los Angeles wetland wars
- Garrett Allen on The view from 31,000 feet: A philosopher looks at fracking
- Robb Cadwell on The view from 31,000 feet: A philosopher looks at fracking
- Amy & Chris Gulick on The view from 31,000 feet: A philosopher looks at fracking
- Richard H Ernst on The taxpayer money that fuels federal land transfer demands