Items by Devin Odell
For 20 years, David Bertelsen has been in love with the same five-mile trail up Finger Rock Canyon north of Tucson, keeping track of its animal and plant life and watching out for the well-being of a fragile landscape.
To help coal survive as the nation's number one source of electricity, the federal government subsidizes a wide range of clean-coal research programs.
The taxpayers of Utah have decided to enter one of the most demanding and expensive international competitions -- the contest to host the winter Olympic Games.
- William Mullane on How right-wing emigrants conquered North Idaho
- Ricardo Small on In Arizona, the people move ahead of the politicians
- Dean Nyffeler on New data released on violent threats to federal employees
- John Crosse on The Los Angeles wetland wars
- John Worlock on The U.S.’s only rare-earth mine files for bankruptcy