Items by Dave Wortman
Overwhelmed by development in this bedroom community near Seattle, the town of Snoqualmie finds an ally in the Evergreen Forest Trust, which has purchased a huge tree farm that will enable logging to continue, and block sprawl.
Critics say that Washington's Growth Management Act failed to do its job in protecting small towns like Roslyn, which will soon see its population quintupled by the development of the MountainStar Resort.
"The Chinook Book" directs Northwestern consumers to make use of the region's salmon-friendly restaurants, recreation, food and household products.
Sumas, Wash., residents stopped permit approval of a proposed gas-fired power plant their city council had welcomed, but National Energy Service Co. will refile, addressing environmental concerns, and this time it may go through.
- Steve Snyder on Searching for solutions in the changing rural West
- Marcia Ewell on Revamped chemical safety law gives EPA more power
- Larry Glickfeld on How the livestock industry can help cut greenhouse gas emissions
- Mark Rozman on As delisting looms, grizzly advocates prepare for a final face-off
- Steve Snyder on How the livestock industry can help cut greenhouse gas emissions