Items by Daniel McCool
Visits to three Western dams – California’s doomed Matilija Dam, the unfinished Elk Creek Dam in Oregon, and the Southwest’s giant Glen Canyon Dam – lead the author to consider the fact that sooner or later, every dam crumbles
The West's Indian reservations need help in building sustainable economies if their wildlife and landscapes are to be preserved, along with their tribal rights.
- Barbara Hulet on The Bundy family, on trial
- Shelley Stallings on The companies behind DAPL don’t think they’ve lost
- Steve Snyder on The twisted economics of the Dakota Access Pipeline
- Mark Rozman on Feds to send conciliators amid tensions over Dakota Access
- Mark Rozman on Latest: California’s tree die-off is bigger than you thought