Items by Cate Gilles
More than 1,000 Native Americans met at Mount Taylor in New Mexico to celebrate the 10th birthday of the Indigenous Environmental Network.
While Congress argues over whether Yucca Mountain, Nev., will store nuclear waste by 2003, Navajo activists urge the reservation to become a "nuclear-free" zone and forbid the waste to be transported across it.
A thousand resistant Navajos have been ordered to vacate Hopi land by April 1, in an attempt to finally resolve a land dispute between the two tribes that has caused years of anguish and anger.
- Carol Bartlett on Montana farmers start talking climate change
- G M Ferguson on What's the matter with New Mexico
- Wade Nelson on Gold King Mine water was headed for the Animas, anyway
- Frank matyus on Gold King Mine water was headed for the Animas, anyway
- William Bryan on Scientists strengthen link between climate change and drought