Items by Cate Gilles
More than 1,000 Native Americans met at Mount Taylor in New Mexico to celebrate the 10th birthday of the Indigenous Environmental Network.
While Congress argues over whether Yucca Mountain, Nev., will store nuclear waste by 2003, Navajo activists urge the reservation to become a "nuclear-free" zone and forbid the waste to be transported across it.
A thousand resistant Navajos have been ordered to vacate Hopi land by April 1, in an attempt to finally resolve a land dispute between the two tribes that has caused years of anguish and anger.
- Latest: California fracking companies inject protected aquifers with wastewater
- American Indian students in Utah face harsh discipline
- The taxpayer money that fuels federal land transfer demands
- Obama's preemptive strike to reform Endangered Species Act
- Wyoming trespass law is the latest in grazing battle
- Bette Korber on The Los Angeles wetland wars
- Garrett Allen on The view from 31,000 feet: A philosopher looks at fracking
- Robb Cadwell on The view from 31,000 feet: A philosopher looks at fracking
- Amy & Chris Gulick on The view from 31,000 feet: A philosopher looks at fracking
- Richard H Ernst on The taxpayer money that fuels federal land transfer demands