Items by Brent Israelsen
"Wolf No. 253," from the Druid Peak Pack in Yellowstone’s Lamar Valley, is caught far from home when he steps into a leghold coyote trap, 30 miles northeast of Salt Lake City, Utah.
Newcomers Patrick Diehl and Tori Woodward say they are being persecuted by some longtime Escalante, Utah, residents, because they are environmentalists who oppose construction of the New Wide Hollow Reservoir.
Two dams proposed for Utah's Uinta Mountains, which would provide water and work for the Uintah Basin's Native Americans, face environmental opposition.
Utah Gov. Leavitt's insistance that local communities must support new wilderness designation makes environmentalists nervous.
A Native American cultural center on a hill called Avikan is threatened by a low-level radioactive waste dump.
Deseret Generation and Transmission Cooperative wants to quadruple sulfur dioxide emissions despite objections of neighbors.
- Karl Anderson on Right-wing militant charged for planting a bomb at BLM building
- Gus Dizerega on Right-wing militant charged for planting a bomb at BLM building
- Harold Johnson on Right-wing militant charged for planting a bomb at BLM building
- James Osborn on Go ahead, control my guns
- Frances Hohl on How Outward Bound lost, and found, itself