Items by Bert Lindler
In Barefoot Hearted: A Wild Life with Wildlife, Kathleen Meyer relates her adventures in Montana's Bitterroot Valley, where she shares an old dairy barn with her boyfriend and numerous uninvited animal guests.
Animal-rights activist Wayne Pacelle has his sights set on hunting in the West. So far, he's wounded or killed hunts for black bears in California and Colorado, grizzly bears and buffalo in Montana, and elk in Arizona.
Before Bob Perkins of Bozeman, Mont., applied beer, engineering and thought to the problem, archaeologists really didn't know how early hunters used the atlatl, or throwing stick.
Twenty years after a Viet Cong rocket left him with a concussion and flesh wounds, Ron West has become a warrior for Blackfeet spiritual leaders fighting to preserve the Badger-Two Medicine area south of Glacier National Park.
Supervisors of many national forests in the northern Rockies have been ordered to cut more timber than they recommended.
While politicians, scientists and bureaucrats argue over reintroduction of the wolf to the western United States, the animals have moved south into Montana to occupy long-vacant habitat.
As a harsh winter follows a summer of fire, up to one-third of Yellowstone National Park's 21,000 northern herd elk may die, either at the hands of hunters or from starvation.
Life in the region is possible if lived within the limits set by the region, rather than by standards set by the humid parts of the nation.
- The taxpayer money that fuels federal land transfer demands
- Latest: California fracking companies inject protected aquifers with wastewater
- Obama's preemptive strike to reform Endangered Species Act
- Wyoming trespass law is the latest in grazing battle
- Sightseeing at an open pit mine in Arizona copper country
- Garrett Allen on The view from 31,000 feet: A philosopher looks at fracking
- Robb Cadwell on The view from 31,000 feet: A philosopher looks at fracking
- Amy & Chris Gulick on The view from 31,000 feet: A philosopher looks at fracking
- Richard H Ernst on The taxpayer money that fuels federal land transfer demands
- Luwella Leonardi on Blood Quantum