Items by Barry Noreen
Costly reclamation work on several defunct ski areas suggests that the Forest Service is too lax with applicants.
According to the EPA, bonds from the Summitville Consolidated Mining Co. don't cover hazardous waste cleanup costs.
For more than 100 years, the last thing the people of Victor, Colo., would think of doing is to say "no" to gold mining. Now they are saying "whoa."
Spurred by a reported sighting of a grizzly sow and three cubs last fall, a group of volunteers from four Western states has begun systematically combing the San Juan Mountains, hoping to prove the bears still survive in Colorado.
Close to 500 wild horses have been shot and left to decay in the Nevada desert over the last two years.
- Charles Fox on Looking back on a century of poisoning predators
- Mike Sennett on Looking back on a century of poisoning predators
- David DuBois on What will become of the backcountry in Utah’s Wasatch?
- Dennis Jones on Colorado, other Western states support Syrian refugee program
- Peter Sandrock on Reflecting on the tragedy of the young 'invincibles'