Items by Barry Noreen
Costly reclamation work on several defunct ski areas suggests that the Forest Service is too lax with applicants.
According to the EPA, bonds from the Summitville Consolidated Mining Co. don't cover hazardous waste cleanup costs.
For more than 100 years, the last thing the people of Victor, Colo., would think of doing is to say "no" to gold mining. Now they are saying "whoa."
Spurred by a reported sighting of a grizzly sow and three cubs last fall, a group of volunteers from four Western states has begun systematically combing the San Juan Mountains, hoping to prove the bears still survive in Colorado.
Close to 500 wild horses have been shot and left to decay in the Nevada desert over the last two years.
- W John Faust on Unwanted California tires end up in rivers and beaches
- Jerry Unruh on Unwanted California tires end up in rivers and beaches
- Louis F Good on Federal public land transfers get a Congressional boost
- Harvey H Reading on Federal public land transfers get a Congressional boost
- Harvey H Reading on Don't blame bark beetles for fire risk