Items by Auden Schendler
A review of The Emerald Mile: the Epic Story of the Fastest Ride in History Through the Heart of the Grand Canyon by Kevin Fedarko.
A delegation of outdoor recreationists go to D.C. to lobby for climate action — and walk into the congressional shutdown.
Searchers found the body of the environmentalist, energy expert and outdoorsman in Wyoming on Wednesday.
The threat of climate change is terrifying, especially for people who fear for their children's future, but there is still hope, if we start working together.
There’s nothing like an imaginative, lively 3-year-old boy to make a person slow down and remember how to play.
In his first book, Storms of My Grandchildren, NASA climate scientist James Hansen explains the truth of climate change and reveals why he has risked his career to bring the issue to light.
A carbon tax is the fairest way to tackle climate change, despite its political challenges and risks.
Auden Schendler says Robert Murray – owner of the Crandall Canyon mine and a well-known global warming denier – is responsible for poor decisions that go beyond mining in an unsafe environment.
Robert Redford and Auden Schendler find it ironic that, under its current leadership, the Environmental Protection Agency could never qualify for one of the Climate Protection Awards it gives out.
Skeptics, even irrational ones, probably once had a useful evolutionary role to play in human communities, but in the face of rapid climate change, they are becoming a fatal obstacle
Auden Schendler finds the evidence compelling but resistance persistent about global-climate change.
Auden Schendler says Dick Cheney was right: Individuals can’t solve the crisis of global climate-change. But government action can
Auden Schendler says 30 ski resorts now support a bipartisan comprehensive bill to slow global warming
The sustainable-business movement, which holds that environmentalism and business can be a winning combination, is not as easy on the ground as it may seem.
A slideshow on Joe Sorkness's 97th birthday recalls his hard and dedicated life as a country doctor in North Dakota.
- After attack, the country’s oldest park ranger is back at work
- Arizona Sen. Jeff Flake’s criticism of Trump wins him national prominence
- Emotions run high over monument designation in Utah
- BLM moves away from landmark Northwest Forest Plan
- How Utah coal interests helped push a secret plan to export coal from California
- Steve Snyder on What can we still learn from Edward Abbey, 25 years after his death?
- David W Hamilton on We should be proud of delisting grizzlies
- David W Hamilton on Sometimes, the West must be protected from itself
- Brant Hayenga on BLM moves away from landmark Northwest Forest Plan
- David W Hamilton on What can we still learn from Edward Abbey, 25 years after his death?