Items by Alan S. Kesselheim
Roger Muggli might be the busiest man in eastern Montana, what with his family farm, his feed-pellet plant, his dedicated work on water issues and his quiet, steadfast environmentalism.
Grand Canyon's backcountry and river planning effort ends abruptly when Park Superintendent Robert Arnberger decides the process, which includes outfitters, private boaters and wilderness advocates, is "too contentious."
The Yellowstone River is the longest undammed river in the West, but Montana's rapid growth is affecting it, as property owners afraid of floods lay huge amounts of riprap along its banks.
Montana legislators are trying to find ways to get around the recently passed voter initiative 137, which halts new or expanded cyanide leach gold mines.
- Millie Carson on Trump’s Cabinet choices reflect deep Koch influence
- Dale Lockwood on Colorado’s controversial plan to kill predators
- Regina Johnson on Go ahead, wander your way
- Paulette Bierzychudek on Obama’s mixed impact on endangered species
- Charles Fox on Colorado’s controversial plan to kill predators