Items by Jodi Peterson
This special books & essays issue considers the ways in which we use maps, literal and metaphoric, to understand a landscape.
The story behind this issue's cover feature, about a startling dinosaur discovery in Montana and ensuing scientific controversy.
HCN's board of directors met recently, our fund-raising art auction was a success, and several visitors came to call.
The author may have been the last person to hear the voice of a missing hiker at Mesa Verde National Park
HCN wins Utne award for environmental coverage, and three awards from the Society of Professional Journalists.
A Pulitzer Prize for Lisa Song, former HCN intern; visitors come by our office; journalists and HCN contributors Debra Weyermann and Kathie Durbin have died.
"Friends" campaign offers the new Colorado River Basin poster; Craig Childs wins Orion Book Award; John Dougherty produces "Cyanide Beach" documentary on mine pollution.
Mountain lions, eagles, bobcats, geese and domestic pets have all been accidentally caught -- and killed -- by wolf trappers.
- John Finch on Illegal bike trails and a Forest Service crackdown divide a town
- W John Faust on Freeway closure by flash flood should teach us a lesson
- David Taft on Deaths renew calls for national parks to rescind BASE jumping bans
- Ryan Stevenson on Can human judgment handle avalanches?
- Tom Gandesbery on In the middle of nowhere, a Promised Land