Items by Jodi Peterson
Marley Shebala and Jesus De La Rosa join HCN’s board of directors; Ed and Betsy Marston win Champions of the Rockies award; Rebecca Clarren wins Alicia Patterson Fellowship and Ken Wright has a new book.
The economic downturn is keeping travelers at home, but fortunately HCN’s readers are staying in touch.
High Country News writers look for querencia – the physical place that gives one strength – in prehistoric (and contemporary) Indian pueblos, in gardens tended by recovering addicts, and in a now-lost family farm.
HCN welcomes new board members Wayne Hare and Jane Ellen Stevens; Peter Friederici’s story on recycled effluent gets praise from the Society of Environmental Journalists.
At the Homestead Market next to HCN’s office, bandsaws whine as elk and deer are butchered for this winter’s eating.
Writer and professor David Gessner is among HCN’s recent interesting visitors; Paonia hosts chefs-in-training.
- Jim Scarborough on Will the Northwest Forest Plan come undone?
- on Feds opt not to list Mono Basin sage grouse
- Chase Gunnell on Will the Northwest Forest Plan come undone?
- Arnold Weissberg on Ranch Diaries: Building community in the middle of nowhere
- Steve Snyder on Only 40 years ago, the Earth got its day