Items by Tim Sullivan
Washington State University's Cooperative Extension Energy Program has an Energy Ideas Clearinghouse Web site, offering many ways to conserve power.
Environmentalists say Wyoming's Red Desert is in danger, facing the prospect of 10,000-15,000 oil and gas wells by 2010.
A documentary on sprawl, Subdivide and Conquer, has had trouble being aired on public TV stations before the election in Denver and Phoenix, where controversial anti-sprawl initiatives are on the ballot.
In his book, "Under the Sun: A Sonoran Desert Odyssey," Adriel Heisey collects the gorgeous aerial photos he made from his homemade Kolb Twinstar and describes how he learned to love a rugged landscape.
A report from the Southern Rockies Ecosystem Project inventories the mountain ecoregion of Colorado, northern New Mexico, and southern Wyoming.
In Arizona, a ban on "killing coyotes" such as the "Predator Hunt Extreme" has been overturned on the grounds that the state Game and Fish Commission does not have jurisdiction over such contests.
Some Western Shoshone are saying that a congressionally approved land-claims settlement should not be accepted by the tribe, because a tribal vote two years ago was not legitimate.
Conservationists say Yellowstone National Park's long-awaited plan for managing its wandering bison herds accommodates cows at the expense of the bison.
- Rachelle Huddleston-Lorton on What I learned from 30 years with the Forest Service
- David Nix on Enough is enough at the Glen Canyon Recreation Area
- Mark Bailey on Enough is enough at the Glen Canyon Recreation Area
- Mark Bailey on What I learned from 30 years with the Forest Service
- Tom McCarty on Enough is enough at the Glen Canyon Recreation Area