Items by Ben Long
The so-called Wilderness and Roadless Release Act promises greater access to public lands, but will actually end up harming the wild lands most Westerners love.
The oil spill on the Yellowstone River is just one of too many disasters caused by our addiction to petroleum.
Ben Long says the National Park Service is practically “bear-anoid,” the way it constantly warns tourists about newly awakened bears when there are so many other, more common dangers in the great outdoors.
The decision of the Association of Petroleum Geologists to give novelist Michael Crichton its "Journalist of the Year" award for his anti-global warming thriller State of Fear can only increase public cynicism about science and scientists
Reporter Ben Long says the evidence is on the ground: Our national parks aren't getting the money they need
The writer says Michael Crichton does not deserve a journalism award from scientists for his book, State of Fear, about global warming
The writer wades into the dispute over wolves in the West, marshalling facts to overcome prejudice against the animals
The writer blasts the National Rifle Association for neglecting its mission and hawking falsehoods about the Sierra Club
The Rocky Mountain Front in Montana is precious land, and it is under threat from the Bush administration’s predatory energy policy
Ben Long writes of his love for the wild Rocky Mountain Front, an area targeted for energy development
- Latest: California fracking companies inject protected aquifers with wastewater
- American Indian students in Utah face harsh discipline
- The taxpayer money that fuels federal land transfer demands
- Obama's preemptive strike to reform Endangered Species Act
- Wyoming trespass law is the latest in grazing battle
- Bette Korber on The Los Angeles wetland wars
- Garrett Allen on The view from 31,000 feet: A philosopher looks at fracking
- Robb Cadwell on The view from 31,000 feet: A philosopher looks at fracking
- Amy & Chris Gulick on The view from 31,000 feet: A philosopher looks at fracking
- Richard H Ernst on The taxpayer money that fuels federal land transfer demands