Items by Judith Lewis
Plain old photovoltaic panels and innovations in energy storage and distributed generation could remake our electricity system.
The closing of a Southern California nuclear plant signals the end of an era — and the start of another
The Alaska Legislature cut the industry’s taxes to boost declining production in the North Slope. But the rollbacks don’t seem likely to have the desired effect.
An unlikely group of activists is championing a new bill to protect the Mojave Desert. But even if it passes, large swaths of once empty land will be developed.
With just a handful of mountain lions left in the Santa Monica Mountains, Californians must decide whether they care enough about wildness to fund key habitat connections.
The act will be the first of its kind sanctioned by the group’s board of directors in its 120 year history, and may push the conversation over the controversial tar-sands oil pipeline to a new level.
Agua University trains young people in Los Angeles County to work as water samplers, employing them and also teaching about the importance of clean water.
The Democrats' formidable ground game delivered Obama to the White House and a surprise seat in Congress
The author asks questions about life in the desert West -- who belongs there, and what belongs to whom.
The San Onofre nuclear power plant has problems that are perhaps endemic to the industry, and chairman Gregory Jaczko's May 2012 resignation from the Nuclear Regulatory Commission means there's one less strong regulator keeping a sharp eye on industry.
At last -- a place to put utility scale plants that won't ruin the desert. But will politics and the economy get in the way?
- After attack, the country’s oldest park ranger is back at work
- Arizona Sen. Jeff Flake’s criticism of Trump wins him national prominence
- Emotions run high over monument designation in Utah
- BLM moves away from landmark Northwest Forest Plan
- How Utah coal interests helped push a secret plan to export coal from California
- Doug Johnson on In this season of potential megaburns, nix the campfire
- The Taylors on Latest: The BLM to study surgical sterilization of wild horses
- Marcia Ewell on New measures could reduce Glen Canyon Dam’s impact on the Grand Canyon — a bit
- Charles Fox on Federal coal leasing needs a major overhaul
- Carl Reese on Study finds surprising source of Colorado River water supply