Items by Jodi Peterson
Spelunkers visit High Country News; correction; obituaries for N.W. Grosse-Rhode and Ramon Mena Owens.
The National Landscape Conservation System allows adventurous tourists to experience beautiful, remote landscapes far from the nearest souvenir store.
Visitors going and coming; Betty Fussell’s new book, Raising Steaks; farewell to forester Leo Goebel
River restoration is a complex business, whether you’re talking about Colorado’s fast-moving Gunnison River or the polluted urban waterways of San Francisco’s East Bay.
David Anderson is High Country News new advertising rep; skiers and farmers visit; Matt Klingle wins book award; corrections.
High Country News skips an issue; Western water books; kudos for HCN’s writers; clarification and correction.
Westerners have a knack for new and innovative thinking: Green detective, Healthcare for the hard up, Developing to stop development, Low carbon brews and more.
- Josh Zaffos on Renewable energy on tribal lands stalls out
- MIKE CHIROPOLOS on Renewable energy on tribal lands stalls out
- Dana Lang on The real Washington vampire story
- Dana Lang on The Quileute Reservation copes with tourists brought by "Twilight"
- William Mullane on How right-wing emigrants conquered North Idaho