Items by Jodi Peterson
The petroglyphs at Nine Mile Canyon in Utah are finally receiving some protection from oil and gas development.
HCN sponsors a conference on energy development and environmental activism on the Hopi and Navajo reservations; visitors; planning; corrections.
Under Lisa Jackson, the Environmental Protection Agency swings into action, much to the dismay of ranchers and industry.
High Country News invites readers to a holiday open house; readers on road trips; board member John Heyneman joins Sonoran Institute’s Partnership for Wyoming's Future.
Longtime HCN board members Dan Luecke and Felix Magowan step down; bat-chasers and bicyclists; and correction.
Proponents say that underground coal gasification could produce cleaner energy, but some environmentalists have their doubts.
The September board meeting raised questions about how big HCN should be; artists and activists visit us.
New employees include computer whiz Mike Maxwell and circulation worker Ellen Kraus; Chip Giller of grist.org wins award; Jon Christensen is new director of the Bill Lane Center for the American West.
This fall looks to be a great season for bookworms, and HCN lists a number of new books either written by Western writers or somehow related to the West.
This essays and book reviews in this special issue of High Country News revolve around the question: What does it mean to be at home in the West?
- The taxpayer money that fuels federal land transfer demands
- Latest: California fracking companies inject protected aquifers with wastewater
- Obama's preemptive strike to reform Endangered Species Act
- Wyoming trespass law is the latest in grazing battle
- Sightseeing at an open pit mine in Arizona copper country
- Garrett Allen on The view from 31,000 feet: A philosopher looks at fracking
- Robb Cadwell on The view from 31,000 feet: A philosopher looks at fracking
- Amy & Chris Gulick on The view from 31,000 feet: A philosopher looks at fracking
- Richard H Ernst on The taxpayer money that fuels federal land transfer demands
- Luwella Leonardi on Blood Quantum