Items by Laura Paskus
Chronic wasting disease has appeared in an isolated herd of mule deer on southern New Mexico's White Sands Missile Range.
A new bill may turn the lower Los Angeles River and the San Gabriel River in Los Angeles into one of the country's few urban national parks.
Conservationists say the "Sound Science Planning Act" - a proposed amendment to the Endangered Species Act - could weaken the roles of U.S. wildlife agencies in deciding which species receive federal protection.
The best way to meet the true West is to explore its small towns and especially its smoky bars, and listen to the stories of the folks who gather there.
California's San Francisco Bay may become the site of the country's second-largest coastal wetland restoration project, if all goes according to plan.
The agreement between state and federal agencies to keep a "minimum flow" of water in New Mexico's Rio Grande and Pecos Rivers has failed to do the job in this year's severe drought.
The National Marine Fisheries Service has again changed its opinion and will allow the Army Corps of Engineers to begin dredging the Columbia River, despite environmentalists' concerns about the wild salmon.
Protection for wildlife in the Siskiyou National Forest is gone now that BLM and USFS have reopened 90 percent of lands to new mining claims before environmental studies are completed.
The Duwamish Tribe, seeking federal recognition, has been rebuked by the Bush administration, due to a technical glitch in paper work by the outgoing Bureau of Indian Affairs director.
The Draper Museum in Cody, Wyo., offers visitors an interactive experience of the Yellowstone region.
A new agreement by the Fish and Wildlife Service and Minneapolis Xcel Energy could set a precedent for protecting more raptors from electrocution on power lines.
- Who’s cutting illegal ski trails in the Santa Fe National Forest?
- Mapping the large-scale loss of natural areas in the West
- Grand Canyon superintendent retires after harassment investigation
- Will the feds change course on Columbia River management?
- As delisting looms, grizzly advocates prepare for a final face-off
- Steve Snyder on Searching for solutions in the changing rural West
- Marcia Ewell on Revamped chemical safety law gives EPA more power
- Larry Glickfeld on How the livestock industry can help cut greenhouse gas emissions
- Mark Rozman on As delisting looms, grizzly advocates prepare for a final face-off
- Steve Snyder on How the livestock industry can help cut greenhouse gas emissions