Items by Jodi Peterson
High Country News hosts a big anniversary party and board meeting in Fort Collins, Colo.; summer visitors.
In his debut novel, The Wilding, Benjamin Percy captures our ambiguous attitudes toward the natural world.
High Country News gets rain, and visitors; new books from our contributors; Debra Utacia Krol wins award; correction.
Wild horses are beautiful and romantic, but there isn't room for them on the West's overgrazed public lands.
High Country News skips an issue; visitors; Evelyn Schlatter's book Aryan Cowboys tackles militia movement; correction and clarification.
High Country News board meeting discusses finances; we get a four-star charity rating; Auden Schendler wins awards
High Country News wins Utne Independent Press Award for Environmental Coverage and Hillman Prize for Magazine Journalism; thinking globally; corrections.
After Editor in Chief Jonathan Thompson leaves, High Country News will be led by Jodi Peterson, Ray Ring and Sarah Gilman; former intern Michael Moss wins a Pulitzer.
Visitors from Alaska; more anniversaries; Emily Underwood and YEWS; Paolo Bacigalupi's novel The Windup Girl gets raves; and corrections.
Spring visitors, HCN wins praise and awards; new books by Anders Halverson and Mark Matthews; corrections.
Wide-ranging talk at HCN's "Power Struggle" discussion in Tucson; HCN board meeting raises financial issues; clarification, corrections.
High Country News wins Jane Silverstein Ries Award; former intern Emma Brown gives UC Journalism School commencement address; visitors with heart.
- Latest: California fracking companies inject protected aquifers with wastewater
- American Indian students in Utah face harsh discipline
- The taxpayer money that fuels federal land transfer demands
- Obama's preemptive strike to reform Endangered Species Act
- Wyoming trespass law is the latest in grazing battle
- Bette Korber on The Los Angeles wetland wars
- Garrett Allen on The view from 31,000 feet: A philosopher looks at fracking
- Robb Cadwell on The view from 31,000 feet: A philosopher looks at fracking
- Amy & Chris Gulick on The view from 31,000 feet: A philosopher looks at fracking
- Richard H Ernst on The taxpayer money that fuels federal land transfer demands