Items by Jonathan Thompson
A loop around the Four Corners, where Colorado, New Mexico, Arizona and Utah meet, leads into a land of both historical and geological friction.
An annotated map shows you how to find some of the West's odder sites, such as old bombing ranges, giant dams, huge industrial projects and giant telescope arrays.
A guide to some of the West's most prominent pieces of land art or earthworks and some of the altered landscapes that interested or inspired land artists.
A land-art-inspired ramble takes the writer from Michael Heizer's Double Negative, to Robert Smithson's underwater Spiral Jetty, with detours to places including the Bingham Canyon copper mine.
We're all tourists in someone else's town, all of us just wandering through the world, so why not do a special issue on travel in the West?
Despite recent headlines, the "drill baby drill" method isn't getting us close to breaking our dependence on foreign oil
In all the fuss about fracking, the many other problems caused by rampant oil and gas development are being overlooked.
A two-year planning process in La Plata County, Colorado gets hijacked by activists suspicious of United Nations influence. And in the West and nationwide, they're not alone.
The word "fracking" has great PR value for environmental activists, but it seems to be completely taking over the debate over oil and gas development.
Fire and flood, snowstorms and droughts, downburst winds and desert haboobs -- 2011 brought incredibly wacky weather to the West.
As the West's population and real estate boom stumble to a halt, the once fast-growing Southwest is filled with foreclosed homes and undeveloped lots.
- Larry Glickfeld on How the livestock industry can help cut greenhouse gas emissions
- Mark Rozman on As delisting looms, grizzly advocates prepare for a final face-off
- Steve Snyder on How the livestock industry can help cut greenhouse gas emissions
- James Connely on As delisting looms, grizzly advocates prepare for a final face-off
- Brad & Kathy Holian on How the livestock industry can help cut greenhouse gas emissions