Items by Sarah Gilman
When pesticide chemicals were found underneath the houses of Barber Orchard, N.C., it aroused fears nationwide about the risks of building on former agricultural land.
Idaho's Payette National Forest is trying to keep wild bighorn sheep separated from domestic sheep, which can spread disease.
High Country News gets rain, and visitors; new books from our contributors; Debra Utacia Krol wins award; correction.
The hikers who are loving Colorado’s fourteeners to death need to repair the damage they’re doing and help out either physically or financially.
An extraordinary 1,500-ton machine will create a new water intake from drought-stricken Lake Mead to thirsty Las Vegas
With grasshoppers expected to swarm the West this summer, High Country News looks back at some of the region's most dramatic historic hopper outbreaks.
Over the last century, Wyoming has transplanted hundreds of bighorn sheep, both in-state and out, to buoy struggling herds.
"They're ba-a-ackk!": Enviro-boogeymen return from the dead as Republicans like Richard Pombo seek a comeback.
When a land trust dissolves, its conservation easements need to be taken on by another group, but that’s not as easy as it sounds.
New York City fights drilling in its watershed, and even some energy executives say the industry needs to be more transparent about the chemicals used in hydraulic fracturing.
The Bureau of Land Management used a large number of "categorical exclusions" to streamline permitting for oil and gas development.
Search and rescue operations in Western national parks are often provoked by the mishaps of young men unprepared for their adventures.
What's it like looking out for hundreds of firefighters in Interior Alaska? Hopefully ho-hum enough to snuggle up with a good book.
- After attack, the country’s oldest park ranger is back at work
- Arizona Sen. Jeff Flake’s criticism of Trump wins him national prominence
- Emotions run high over monument designation in Utah
- BLM moves away from landmark Northwest Forest Plan
- How Utah coal interests helped push a secret plan to export coal from California
- Doug Johnson on In this season of potential megaburns, nix the campfire
- The Taylors on Latest: The BLM to study surgical sterilization of wild horses
- Marcia Ewell on New measures could reduce Glen Canyon Dam’s impact on the Grand Canyon — a bit
- Charles Fox on Federal coal leasing needs a major overhaul
- Carl Reese on Study finds surprising source of Colorado River water supply