Items by Cally Carswell
Maps and graphics chart the relation of campaign spending to Western election results, among other things.
Environmentalists are attacking "the heart of the beast": the coal mines in Wyoming's Powder River Basin.
This summer, journalist Jeremy Miller descended two notorious Utah slot canyons with an equally notorious guide.
Can U.S. environmentalists derail a huge Canadian tar sands project that affects this side of the border?
An audio slide show featuring biologist and photographer Abraham Karam, who researches endangered razorback suckers.
A map shows some of the largest sites managed by the departments of Defense and Energy in the West, and their ecological value.
The Sinclair, Wyo., oil refinery has long been one of the state's most notorious polluters, but until recently, no one seemed to care.
- dan bosch on Suckers for gold
- Tom Darnell on Will public-lands ranchers pay more for grazing?
- Alan Stevens on Private property blocks access to public lands
- Linda VanFossan on California has one year of water left: Hype or reality?
- Joseph Yannuzzi on Sportsmen’s bill aims to open inaccessible public lands