Items by Sarah Gilman
The Sierra Club's Carl Zichella discusses the balancing act involved in finding the best -- and least environmentally sensitive -- places to put big renewable energy projects
Spelunkers visit High Country News; correction; obituaries for N.W. Grosse-Rhode and Ramon Mena Owens.
Is it possible to develop large-scale solar projects and transmission lines without sacrificing the West’s wide-open landscapes and deserts?
Westerners have a knack for new and innovative thinking, such as: Redefining rancher politics, A rediscovered renewable, Creating public nooks and crannies and more.
Colorado's reintroduced lynx are in trouble, and a detailed map shows where -- and why -- they’re facing problems.
- Jim Scarborough on For climate activists, a bright spot in a dismal election
- Tim McKimmie on Dear Forest Service: Today’s John Muir shoots video
- Guy Durrant on Giving thanks and looking forward
- Sarah Gilman on Closure of federal sheep facility would be a victory for grizzlies
- Gretchen King on Sage grouse found walking through Wyoming underpass