Items by Cally Carswell
Cap and trade is dead in Washington, D.C., but a few states are hoping to limit emissions through the Western Climate Initiative.
Maps and graphics chart the relation of campaign spending to Western election results, among other things.
Environmentalists are attacking "the heart of the beast": the coal mines in Wyoming's Powder River Basin.
This summer, journalist Jeremy Miller descended two notorious Utah slot canyons with an equally notorious guide.
Can U.S. environmentalists derail a huge Canadian tar sands project that affects this side of the border?
An audio slide show featuring biologist and photographer Abraham Karam, who researches endangered razorback suckers.
A map shows some of the largest sites managed by the departments of Defense and Energy in the West, and their ecological value.
- Jim Scarborough on Will the Northwest Forest Plan come undone?
- on Feds opt not to list Mono Basin sage grouse
- Chase Gunnell on Will the Northwest Forest Plan come undone?
- Arnold Weissberg on Ranch Diaries: Building community in the middle of nowhere
- Steve Snyder on Only 40 years ago, the Earth got its day