Items by Cally Carswell
A recent oil spill in Montana's Yellowstone River reminds Westerners that not all such environmental disasters happen in the Gulf of Mexico.
Jonathan Thompson talks with Cally Carswell about how foreign demand is influencing the West's latest extractive boom.
Western legislatures slash spending, confront budget gaps, attempt environmental rollbacks and propose a few silly laws.
Craig Childs narrates his paddle down the Lower San Juan, with photos and video he took on the trip.
Both proponents and opponents of predator control claim to have science on their side. But the actual science -- and all of its complexities -- is often lost in the debate.
The 9th Circuit Court tosses its "federal defendant" rule, giving interested parties a clearer path for intervening in environmental lawsuits.
Judith Lewis Mernit talks with Cally Carswell about how the Obama administration's policies are impacting the West.
A graphic shows how Western states stack up against Texas and the Eastern U.S. when it comes to oil and gas drilling.
Writer Pat Toomay talks with landscape photographer Michael Berman about his craft and the draw of the desert.
Cally Carswell talks with HCN contributing editor Judith Lewis about the muscle the feds are putting behind solar energy development on public land.
- Heather Brenner on Rural counties to lose the most from defunded lands programs
- Louis F Good on Navajo election shakes up Grand Canyon development plans
- Warren Anderson on Canadian water for California’s drought?
- Joel Barnes on Navajo election shakes up Grand Canyon development plans
- Louis F Good on Oath Keepers show up for a public lands dispute in Oregon