Items by Sarah Gilman
When pesticide chemicals were found underneath the houses of Barber Orchard, N.C., it aroused fears nationwide about the risks of building on former agricultural land.
Idaho's Payette National Forest is trying to keep wild bighorn sheep separated from domestic sheep, which can spread disease.
High Country News gets rain, and visitors; new books from our contributors; Debra Utacia Krol wins award; correction.
The hikers who are loving Colorado’s fourteeners to death need to repair the damage they’re doing and help out either physically or financially.
An extraordinary 1,500-ton machine will create a new water intake from drought-stricken Lake Mead to thirsty Las Vegas
With grasshoppers expected to swarm the West this summer, High Country News looks back at some of the region's most dramatic historic hopper outbreaks.
Over the last century, Wyoming has transplanted hundreds of bighorn sheep, both in-state and out, to buoy struggling herds.
"They're ba-a-ackk!": Enviro-boogeymen return from the dead as Republicans like Richard Pombo seek a comeback.
- Ricardo Small on In Arizona, the people move ahead of the politicians
- Dean Nyffeler on New data released on violent threats to federal employees
- John Crosse on The Los Angeles wetland wars
- John Worlock on The U.S.’s only rare-earth mine files for bankruptcy
- Andy Grosland on The pain thief of Spokane