Items by Cally Carswell
Judith Lewis Mernit talks with Cally Carswell about how the Obama administration's policies are impacting the West.
A graphic shows how Western states stack up against Texas and the Eastern U.S. when it comes to oil and gas drilling.
Writer Pat Toomay talks with landscape photographer Michael Berman about his craft and the draw of the desert.
Cally Carswell talks with HCN contributing editor Judith Lewis about the muscle the feds are putting behind solar energy development on public land.
Emilene Ostlind talks with former federal biologist Rollin Sparrowe about energy development on the Pinedale Anticline and its impact on wildlife.
Cap and trade is dead in Washington, D.C., but a few states are hoping to limit emissions through the Western Climate Initiative.
Maps and graphics chart the relation of campaign spending to Western election results, among other things.
Environmentalists are attacking "the heart of the beast": the coal mines in Wyoming's Powder River Basin.
This summer, journalist Jeremy Miller descended two notorious Utah slot canyons with an equally notorious guide.
Can U.S. environmentalists derail a huge Canadian tar sands project that affects this side of the border?
- Michael Welsh on Considering historical correctness in New Mexico
- Bob Laybourn on Considering historical correctness in New Mexico
- William R DeJager on Wolf pups, and the return of wild wonder
- Brad Bergstrom on Did Obama's Interior hobble the Endangered Species Act?
- Dwayne Meadows on Idaho’s sewer system is the Snake River