Items by Judith Lewis Mernit
The Forest Service finally assesses the impacts of fire retardant chemicals, but never answers the question of how useful they really are.
California Republican state Sen. Sam Blakeslee questions the Nuclear Regulatory Commission about the safety of the state’s nuclear plants.
Environmentalists like the tone of the Forest Service's new draft planning rule, but worry about how - and if - it will be enforced on the ground.
A closer look at Obama's impact on federal judges, the Fish and Wildlife Service, the Energy Department and the Forest Service, as well as his administration's approach to science and secrecy.
Not everybody is happy, but the Obama administration is making slow but steady progress in dealing with the West's environmental issues.
Governor unveils "fantastic news" for all Californians -- except park staff slated to lose their jobs.
- Phaedra Greenwood on Can Aldo Leopold’s land ethic tackle our toughest problems?
- Mary Doherty on Utah burn ban ignites outrage over ‘basic freedoms’
- Dale Lockwood on Utah burn ban ignites outrage over ‘basic freedoms’
- Joe F Whelan on Charles Bowden’s Fury
- Bill Schiffbauer on Utah burn ban ignites outrage over ‘basic freedoms’