The Hungry Intern: Breakfast

A zany attempt to eat locally, on a starving journalist's budget. Episode 1.

Please wait while the player loads. Note: you must have javascript enabled and the Adobe Flash Player installed.

Episode 2: Lunch

Episode 3: Dinner

Jun 30, 2009 05:28 PM
A few months ago I looked into a MD program called "Maryland's Best," where you link up with a local farmer to get a share of their harvest. I wonder if CO has anything like that. I will have to try some dandelion root :)
Jul 01, 2009 07:54 AM
check out this website for possibilities in your corner of CO:
Jun 30, 2009 06:37 PM
Nice job Jeff! You had me engaged all the way through, and I hope there's more coming. Have wondered often what it would take to go truly local. Great screen presence and super polished production.
Jun 30, 2009 07:31 PM
Forrest -

If you'd like to find out if there are any CSAs (i.e. community-supported agriculture farms)in your area, you can consult this website (copy/paste the URL below into your browser). It's a gold mine for those seeking the resources to eat locally. We've been members of a CSA in Oregon for the last 6 years and we never eat better than when our weekly shares are being delivered. If you've heard about the drought in California, it should give you all the incentive you need to start supporting local alternatives to corporate agriculture and the 3000 mile Caesar salad.
Jun 30, 2009 08:08 PM
so great! super entertaining, and you did such a good job of portraying what it's really like to get ALL of your ingredients locally. Can't wait for lunch!
Jul 01, 2009 04:52 AM
This is really well produced and a message delivered that I think is can be heard by anyone. I too have been trying become more of a locavore. I have been looking more into CSA programs - community supported agriculture. You should check it out - it's a really great thing to be a part of. Inspiring video!
Jul 01, 2009 11:59 AM
You better stick around, Jeff! We'll make a locavore of you yet.
By the way, nice butter!

Michelle A.
Jul 01, 2009 12:59 PM
First, I see you in the Paonia community production of GREASE, (and where I read in the program you are soon going to walk across the country picking up trash) then I see this fabulous little piece on eating locally, which is so very good. Hooray, you, and to HCN for having a multi-media intern!
Jul 01, 2009 01:09 PM
Hi! I'm a senior at CWRU, and for a senior project I'm researching local eating in Cleveland. I'm going around scoping out where you can get local food, and am making about three meals a week for the whole summer. Your video was entertaining and well-made, I really enjoyed it! Except now my adviser saw it and wants me to make a video too. Thanks a lot, haha!
Jul 03, 2009 07:42 AM
I loved it! Very informative and entertaining. I look forward to seeing what he did for lunch.
Jul 03, 2009 09:57 AM
Jeff this is awesome. I can't wait to see Lunch and Dinner.

ps- you are a lunchbox (with local foods in it ha ha)
Jul 09, 2009 11:14 AM

good video! I did rewind to hear how the hens were doing. I thought of a Hemingway book...("Men without Women," was it?)