Name: Gary Marbut
Background: During high school, he worked as a ski patrolman, and then in 1969 he enlisted in the Army. He served three years and took a "European Discharge," bought a motorcycle and spent a year driving around Europe and North Africa.
Conservation: Marbut's house is "a model for energy conservation -- high thermal mass, well insulated, active-passive solar" backed up by a fireplace. He says he spends less than $10 per year on electricity from the grid. He also tends a large organic vegetable garden.
- Nathan Johnson on Wyoming grapples with how to fund wildlife conservation
- Jim Scarborough on For climate activists, a bright spot in a dismal election
- Tim McKimmie on Dear Forest Service: Today’s John Muir shoots video
- Guy Durrant on Giving thanks and looking forward
- Sarah Gilman on Closure of federal sheep facility would be a victory for grizzlies