Name: Gary Marbut
Background: During high school, he worked as a ski patrolman, and then in 1969 he enlisted in the Army. He served three years and took a "European Discharge," bought a motorcycle and spent a year driving around Europe and North Africa.
Conservation: Marbut's house is "a model for energy conservation -- high thermal mass, well insulated, active-passive solar" backed up by a fireplace. He says he spends less than $10 per year on electricity from the grid. He also tends a large organic vegetable garden.
- Jim Scarborough on Will the Northwest Forest Plan come undone?
- on Feds opt not to list Mono Basin sage grouse
- Chase Gunnell on Will the Northwest Forest Plan come undone?
- Arnold Weissberg on Ranch Diaries: Building community in the middle of nowhere
- Steve Snyder on Only 40 years ago, the Earth got its day